Spinach, Red Pepper, Bacon & Onion Frittata
8 eggs (fyi you can use just egg whites if you like- it will still be yummy!)
Dash of salt and pepper
1/2 cup of milk or cream (according to taste)
1 clove of garlic
1 medium onion
15 (approx)strips of bacon- cooked and crumbled
your favorite cheese to sprinkle on top !
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. As the oven preheats start cooking off your bacon. Once you have the bacon strips cooked to your desired crispness lay them on a paper towel to drain off the excess fat. When cool to the touch crumble , and set aside.
3. While bacon cools wash and dry the spinach, set aside.
4. Next dice red pepper and onion. Drizzle approx 2 tablespoons of EVOO into a sauce pan over medium heat and gently sauté. Remember you want your veggies to still have a little crunch (for texture) when you eat your frittata. Once these have been sautéd pour into a bowl and set aside. Wash skillet for next few steps.
5. Mix eggs and milk in a bowl together, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
6. Dice garlic . Drizzle a tablespoons of EVOO into a sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and spinach to the pan and sauté. Once the spinach wilts it is done.
At that point pour in the egg mixture to the pan. Then quickly add the red peppers, onions, and crumbled bacon to the pan. Stir to mix it all together. Then let the frittata cook in the skillet on top of the stove.
7. Once the eggs start to pull away from the edges of the pan pull the skillet off the stove top and insert into the oven. Cook at 350 for 10 minutes.
8. After the 10 minutes are up you may sprinkle with cheese on top if you wish- I've used cheddar or parmesan, but I am told gruyere would work well too. If you like after you sprinkle on the cheese slip the pan under your broiler until the cheese bubbles a little bit. Then remove and let cool for a minute or two. It will form a wonderful top crust.
- These leftovers reheat beautifully; so don't feel that you have to eat it all in one sitting.
(Not the best picture of Zoie but as she is eating my frittata I had to include it!)