- 1 can of evaporated milk (optional)**
- 1 gallon of 2% (or 1% milk)**
- 3 cups of sugar
- 7 tablespoons of quality cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla
- a dash of salt
- Marshmallow cream (instead of marshmallows)
In a large stock pot, preferably one with a lid, combine a can of evaporated milk and your cocoa powder. Whisk these swiftly until they are well blended. Add a dash of salt and let the mixture cook for a few minutes on medium heat. Don't let it boil, whisk constantly.
Add a third of your milk and mix. Add all three cups of your sugar and mix well. Add the rest of your milk, cover and let it heat on low until it's hot all the way through. Right before serving, stir in your vanilla. If you add the vanilla too soon most of the flavor will cook out.
Serve your cocoa in mugs with a dollop of marshmallow cream; it's much better than plain marshmallows.